Operation FANSAN YAMMA: Troops Rescue 10 Kidnap Victims in Kebbi, Zamfara, Sokoto

By Zagazola Makama

Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have rescued 10 kidnapped civilians in separate operations across Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara States, further intensifying military pressure on terrorist and kidnapping networks operating in the region.

The latest rescue operations, conducted between August 18 and 19, followed a combination of intelligence-driven searches, aggressive patrols and rapid responses to terrorist activities across the Joint Operations Area.

In Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State, troops conducting a patrol on August 19 encountered an ambush by suspected terrorists.

The troops immediately engaged the attackers, forcing them to flee in disarray and abandon the area.

During the encounter, soldiers rescued five civilians who had been held by the terrorists. The victims were subsequently reunited with their families.

Troops also recovered two motorcycles abandoned by the fleeing terrorists.

In a separate operation on August 18, troops acting on intelligence concerning the abduction of three persons launched a search-and-rescue operation in Danko Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State.

The operation resulted in the successful rescue of all three victims.

The rescued civilians were profiled before being handed over to the appropriate local authorities for further assistance and reunification with their families.

Similarly, troops responded to intelligence on terrorist activity in Tsafe Local Government Area of Zamfara State on August 18.

The rapid mobilisation of troops forced the terrorists to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding terrain.

Two kidnapped victims were rescued during the operation.

The victims had sustained gunshot wounds during their captivity and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for urgent treatment.

Military sources said troops have continued efforts to track the fleeing terrorists and prevent them from regrouping or carrying out further attacks in surrounding communities.

The series of operations highlights the importance of rapid military response to distress calls and actionable intelligence, particularly in areas where terrorists and kidnappers exploit difficult terrain to hold victims and launch attacks on civilians.

The Theatre Command has commended the troops for their vigilance, courage and swift response during the operations, while reaffirming its determination to sustain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area.

Residents have also been urged to continue providing timely and credible information to security forces to support ongoing operations and enhance the protection of lives and property.

The Theatre Command said the cooperation of communities remains critical to denying terrorists freedom of action and ensuring the safe return of kidnapped victims.